Thursday, August 18, 2011

PGT Del Monte 2nd Round


Written: August 18, 2011
            Having a late tee time on the first day meant I would have an early tee time today.  I got up at 4:30am to get ready for the 6:40am tee time.  Despite the even par round yesterday, there were still some thoughts of the cut line lingering in my head.  The projected cut from looking at the scores in day one would fall unusually low for Philippine Golf Tour standards at around 2 or 3 over par.  However, one thing I’ve learned about thinking of the cut line during the second round, it only introduces fear.  Instead, the better perspective is to visualize yourself trying to make a move on the leaders.  Asking myself, “what must I do to catch the leaders?” rather than “what must I shoot to make the cut?” has really helped me play more fearless golf.
            Must this round be explained more than a recap of statistics?  Basically, all day I kept climbing deeper and deeper into the red numbers.  13/14 fairways hit and 14/18 greens hit and 28 putts.  It was just a matter of hitting the fairway, hitting the green, and seeing if the birdie putt would fall in the hole.  With six birdies, putts did fall into the hole.  On the practice range warming up this morning, it helped build confidence in myself knowing that I was hitting it really straight and really solid, which was night and day from last week’s scrambling effort.  I said to myself, “wouldn’t it be nice if I hit all the 18 greens today?” That thought stayed in my mind all day.  Setting the bar high but having acceptance if you didn’t reach it was the recipe for success today.
            Tonight, it’s just Mars and I in the house since Baste, Andres, Miguel and his dad left for Manila already.  Tomorrow, game time again and it would be ideal to bring the same game and attitude as today.

Between rounds, we got to check out the longest zipline in Asia. 840m long!

No comments:

Post a Comment