Monday, February 21, 2011

DHL Amateur 2nd Round

Written: February 9, 2011

            In golf, you always hope that today’s going to be your day.  The day when your swing, your putting, your good fortune, and your mind work in harmony to produce the golf you know you’re capable of.  In today’s 2nd round of the DHL Amateur Open, today was that day for me! For the back nine at least.

            I started off on the 10th tee today at 8:30am.  Slow round as both the men and women’s division were playing in one course.  Over 100 players all in all.  The first hole signaled some positive vibes today when I made an impossible sand save from a plugged lie, the ball hit the lip, popped straight up, settled 12 feet from the hole, and made the par.  Although I proceeded to make a bogey on the following hole and follow it up later on with a 3-putt on the 18th hole, my 9th of the day, I know I was striking it well enough to somehow finish under par for the day.  Outward nine holes of 1 over 37.

            On the back nine beginning on hole 1 is where the turbo really started to kick in. 

Hole 1: Perfect drive, perfect 2nd shot to 3 feet and a birdie.
Hole 2: Dropped a birdie putt from 25 feet away.
Hole 4: Dropped a birdie putt from 30 feet away.
Hole 5: Made a par putt from 6 feet away in what looked like an impossible up and down
Hole 6: Dropped a birdie putt from 27 feet away.
Hole 7: Dropped a birdie putt from 24 feet away.
Hole 8: Nice pitch to knock it to 4 feet and made the birdie.

            A career best 9 hole score in a tournament of 6-under 30! Nice way to clean up and shoot a 5-under 67.  I kept telling myself mentally to keep going and adding on the birdies while the putter was hot.  What helped was Monday’s practice round when I put together 5 birdies for a 31 back nine score.  The feeling of going really low wasn’t something new, which helped keep me composed.

            Tomorrow, I’ll be playing in the final pairing.  4 some with the leader at 9 under par (66-69).  Clyde Mondilla at 5-under, Zanie Boy Gialon at 4-under and myself.  It’s me against the course once again tomorrow. Let’s go!

No comments:

Post a Comment