Thursday, December 16, 2010

Canlubang Amateur Open Tournament Preview


October 12, 2010

            It’s Tuesday today, October 12, 2010, and a couple days have passed since the completion of the Philippine Golf Tour event in Northwoods.  Over the weekend, I spent most of my time away from the golf scene, aside from the time Jayvie and I went to Villamor for a quick range session on Sunday afternoon.  Quality time with family and good friends over the weekends, that gets me recharged. 
            The last two days, we spent playing practice rounds in Canlubang – North Course, the course we would be playing the tournament on.  The Canlubang Amateur Open begins tomorrow, 54 holes and ends on Friday.  The field consists of about 80 players playing in the Championship division; All of the ICTSI players from both Canlubang and The Country Club are in the field. 
            By now, I have gotten a good feel of the course. It’s a par 72 and playing a little under 7,000 yards so the length is manageable.  Probably the most challenging part of the course is the rough.  It is essential to hit the fairways off the tee, especially in a day like today in which it rained intermittently throughout the round.  The “carabao” rough, which is a very thick strand of grass, much like you would see in lawns in Florida, really grabs the club, taking off considerable distance.  It’s a complete opposite type of rough from last week when playing from the rough actually added yards to your ball.  Other than that, I’m not too worried about this course. 
Giving myself the most chances for birdie by playing a solid tee to green game will be the objective for tomorrow.  The putting stroke looks good as I’m carrying much of the comfort I felt from last week in Northwoods.  This time, I’m hoping I don’t have to rely on my putter too much to bail me out.  Mentally, I intend to stay even keel through the round tomorrow, accept whatever comes my way, and enjoy the challenge.
            Tomorrow, I tee off at 9:50am.  Living only less than 10 minutes away is pretty neat.  Goodnight! Tournament updates to come.

North Course hosted the Canlubang Amateur

No comments:

Post a Comment