Thursday, December 16, 2010

Mercedes Benz Tour Indonesia Final Round

Written: October 30, 2010

We’re back in the hotel now after long day.  It’s odd to be staying in the hotel even after the tournament has been completed.  Usually, packing the bags and checking out of the hotel prior to the final round is the norm in order to rush and catch the afternoon flight after the round.  This time, it was more relaxing.  In fact, our flight tomorrow is in the evening, taking the red eye connecting in Singapore then arriving in the Philippines Monday early morning.

On the final round, I began the day at 9 over par for the tournament. 78-70-77.  As far as catching anyone or finishing a certain place, it wasn’t much of my concern.  All I wanted was to put together a solid round that I know I’m capable of.  I figured, wherever you play and in whatever competition, shooting under par is all there is to it.  You don’t have to worry about what tournament you’re playing, how hard the course is, or how good the players you’re competing against.  Keep in mind that as long as you shoot under par, you’ll be just fine. 

7:50 tee time today beginning once again on the back nine.  I never quite made it to get front nine tee time ever since they paired by score.  Today, I had ample time to warm up as I worked through the bag beginning with wedges, irons, woods, then the driver.  In order to battle the over drawing shots I’ve had all week, I made sure to get on my left side as I transitioned to the downswing.  That allowed the club path to square up more easily and produce more descending blow on the irons rather than picking it.  After I figured that out, I was ready to go.  A couple putts to get the speed and I walked over to the tenth tee.

            Highlights on the front nine include an almost impossible up and down after short siding myself on the long par 4 11th.  Then on 14, after hitting my 6 iron over the green from 180 yards just on the fringe, I drained the curling left to right downhill putt for birdie from 40 feet away.  The next hole and two solid swings later, I was faced with a downhill 20 footer with about 2 feet of break.  Well, I read the putt perfectly, stroked it perfectly and it rolled in as if the ball had a magnet to the hole.  2 under through 6.  Then on 7, the 210 yard par 3, I flushed a solid 4 iron that ended 5 feet from the pin.  Right center up the hill, and drained that for a 3rd birdie in a row.  I was definitely riding on my momentum in the rare moments when golf seems to be easy.  On 17, driver and a 3 wood gamble but I pushed it into the bunker 50 yards away from the hole.  Best way I learned to play that type of shot is by thinning a 9 iron as if you were hitting a bump and run.  I clipped it perfectly and the ball rolled 25 feet past the hole.  Extremely downhill putt and a bit too cautious left me with another 4 feet for par downhill.  Another tap and hope type of putt, turned out the left edge allowance was perfect.  On 18, I hit my 3 wood in the rough leaving myself with 170 yards.  Expecting a flier, I played a 7 iron but it turned out the opposite and the rough grabbed the club.  For my 3rd, I still had 37 yards left.  That pitch shot, I put to 7 feet and from there, drained the putt for par.  Yes! 3 under front nine and things were looking good.

            On the closing 9, I had 3 bogeys and one birdie on the par 3 4th hole when I holed a 30 footer.  I regret bogeying the 2 par 5’s holes 1 and 7.  On hole 1, I made bogey from being just around the green for my 3rd shot but flubbed the shot that was in a muddy, into the grain lie and on 7, I had 80 yards for my 3rd but flew the green leaving myself with no chance to save par.  As much as I wanted to stay positive, I walked off those holes feeling like such a dummy giving a low round away.  I was however, able to save par on the long par 4 6th from 30 yards away and a good putt from 8 feet as well as a good par on the 215 yard 8th hole as I hit my ball on the green and cleaned up my 2 putt from 8 feet again.  A 3 under first nine and 2 over back nine still finished with an under par round.  Overall, I was pleased with how I finished with a strong round.

            Afterwards, there was a lunch buffet for the players in the area overlooking the final hole.  We watched the Filipino players and the leaders finish up.  It was pretty exciting to watch one of the Thai players eagle the 17th and sink a birdie the 18th to force a playoff.  I didn’t stay to watch the playoff so I instead went back to the lounge to grab some internet.  Coach Cassius finally put a good round together, a 5 under 67 to finish at 2 under for the tournament and a big move to 17th place.  Once he got his cash earnings, we boarded the bus back to the hotel.

            On the bus ride, I sat beside Juvic and we had a long conversation about a bunch of things.  He told me his story about playing the Asian Tour Q-school as an amateur then making it through.  On his first year as a pro, he made a couple of cuts to rank higher in the mid-season reshuffle which got him a place in the lucrative Singapore Open.  There, he made the cut again for about $25,000 to secure his card for the year.  On the year’s final event, the UBS Hong Kong Classic, he was an alternate but was lucky to get a call on the last minute to play.  That was his big break as he played four solid rounds to finish second and pick up more than $300,000.  The following year, he told me how he won his first event in Indonesia going head to head with Lee Westwood in the final two rounds.  Since 2006, he’s been a steady figure on the Asian Tour.  Like a little brother, I was listening to his stories and thinking, “wow, that’s so cool.” Juvic told me that playing Q-school this January is a good move and who knows, I might just be following in his footsteps.

            A lot of hard work ahead, but I know it can pay off in big ways.  Playing tournament golf, specifically pro tournament golf is the best way to accelerate the learning process.  I’m so grateful that I got an opportunity this week to play against these guys.  The whole experience has been a blast, certainly one to remember.  Next stop, the PGT in Mimosa in a week and a half.  ‘till then, so long!

Gallery Surrounding the 18th Green

Sop Buntot, my favorite in Indonesia

All packed up and ready to fly home

No comments:

Post a Comment