Wednesday, April 6, 2011

PGT Malarayat 1st and 2nd Round


           Coming off fresh from a 4th place finish in my pro debut four days prior, I was feeling red hot and flying with confidence.  The field was loaded with big names.  All the Asian tour players were present as well as Champions Tour player Frankie Minoza.  Despite the strength of field and no matter where or what the tournament is, one thing remains the same: shoot par or better, and the rest will take care of itself. 
First round, afternoon tee time.  As the winds picked up and the greens got firm and fast in the afternoon, the course became increasingly challenging.  After cruising nicely at even par through 8 holes, I hit a wall in the middle of the round going bogey, bogey, bogey, double bogey.  5 over in a flash with to play.  That’s where I would finish the round, a disappointing 77.  Surprisingly, just one shot off the cut line.
The second round didn’t go any better either.  In short, another 77.  9 bogeys and 4 birdies.  I could list down a bunch of excuses as to why things didn’t go my way for this round and the previous one but I’d rather not since it would be counter productive.
A total of 10 over for two rounds ain’t gonna cut it.  The cut settled at 7 over.  Just 3 shots off on two rounds that seemed to have a never ending series of bad breaks. 
            That’s golf I guess.  You never seem to figure it out.  Last week I felt on top of the world, extremely confident about taking my game to the pros and the next week my heart sinks.  As the great Notre Dame coach Lou Holtz once said, “you’re never as good as you think you are but you’re never as bad as you think you are either.” Its just a matter of staying even keel through the ups and downs.
            The next PGT tournament won’t be until May 18-20 in Orchard.  I’m hoping to receive a sponsor exemption into the Asian Tour Philippine Open in Wack Wack May 12-15.  Let’s cross our fingers.  ‘Till then, its back to practice and repetitions.  I’ve taken my game to new heights since graduating from college last year.  Just gotta keep climbing and pick myself back up when I stumble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment