Monday, April 4, 2011

Pro Debut: PGT Northwoods 1st Round


Written: March 30, 2011
           
            If you’ve read my previous blog posts, you’ll know that I just turned pro.  On Monday morning, Chuck picked me up in the house and we drove together to Northwoods on a convoy with the other pros and amateurs.  First, we made a stop over at the drive in motel I stayed in last October.  Roommates with Chuck, we paid for four nights Monday through Friday on a 12 hour basis: 7pm-7am so it could fit in our budget.
            Having played here last October, everything from the golf course to our daily routine was familiar.  Familiarity brings comfort and the more comfortable you are usually translates to better performance on the course.  Same hotel, same course, same places to eat (SM Food Court, Bacolod Chicken Inasal, Caddy’s Canteen beside the clubhouse), same trusty caddy – Lody, same company.
            Monday and Tuesday were the practice round days.  Got a good feel of the course, which happens to play a lot firmer than last year.  Also, the greens, which still has strong grain, seems to be cut and rolled more making it a lot quicker.
            Good thing is, coming into today’s first round, my swing was feeling good.  It has been for a while. J  Perhaps it really is the practice and the repetitions that really help groove the swing.  I’d say there were a bit of nerves teeing off earlier.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  The fact that I had just turned pro didn’t affect me one bit.  I was more concerned about playing the golf course and playing it like any other tournament I have in the past.
            With on and off ball striking but solid short range putting, I turned in a steady round of even par. 1 birdie and 1 bogey.  Overall, it was quite satisfying to open with a 72.  Surprisingly, the projected cut of top 40 was at 1 over.  A lot of good scores but most came in the morning with the more benign conditions.  Gotta keep stepping on the pedal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment