Saturday, June 4, 2011

Philippine Open 1st and 2nd Round

Written: May 14, 2011

            It’s Saturday morning right now and I’m writing since I don’t have a weekend tee time at the Philippine Open.  Two days of tournament golf and a missed cut at my first Asian Tour event.  My scores of 80-77, a total of 13 over par, was 9 shots off the cut line.  It’s easy to say that well, I just didn’t hit it good enough, the putts didn’t fall, and I had a couple bad breaks.  But the question is, why did it happen while playing the biggest tournament of my career to date?  Was it coincidence that you just can’t bring you’re “A” game all the time or did it have something to do with playing a tournament of that magnitude for the first time?  Because certainly, I was capable of playing much better than that performance.  In the coming days, as I digest the events, I’ll gain better insight and ultimately take this as a valuable learning experience.
            Speaking of the experience, it’s one that I’ll always remember.  Warming up with new balls, golf sales reps everywhere, spectators, cameras, live scoring, corporate tents, world class players, a manicured golf course, and getting inside the ropes to compete… Being a part of it for the week brought emotions of thrill and excitement and also a nervous energy.  It’s the type of atmosphere I come to realize that “this is where I want to be.”  It’s almost the feeling as if I belong.  Playing the event provided a first glimpse of what guys like me who recently just turned pro are really in for.  And the experience only done one thing.  Actually, perhaps two.  One is that it has only driven me more to get to that level.  Two, getting a first hand look at the other top tour pros, I’ve certainly got the game to get there. No miracles necessary.  Just hard work and a positive attitude.  Gotta love the challenge!  


Tito Yeyo and I coming out to watch the final round



Big crowds on the 18th

No comments:

Post a Comment