Monday, March 5, 2012

The Player Caddy Relationship

Many of the successful professional golfers say that the caddy-player relationship is vital to their success.  The caddy plays a much bigger role than one would initially imagine.  The description of a caddy's job is to carry the player's bag.  However, once you really get into competition and know what it means to have a good caddy, then you'll figure out the intangibles a caddy has to offer.
During my days as a junior and collegiate golfer, playing without a caddy was the norm and the rule.  When I moved to the Philippines back in 2010 and with all the courses having caddies, it was something I quickly got used.  Having your bag carried around for you was a relief physically but then I started to notice how I played even better when I had a good caddy on the bag who would be alert, give the right yardage and reads on the green.
Two months ago when going to play the Final Stage of the Asian Tour event in Thailand, Ryan introduced me to a caddy who flew from Malaysia.  He was looking for a player for that week since his player who played on the first stage of qualifying didn’t make it past.  So I accepted and figured from the relatively little experience I’ve had of using professional caddies, that any advantage you can get, you take it.
We formed a bond right away during the practice rounds and from there, we gave it a great run at getting our fully exempt status on the Asian Tour. His guidance and his knowledge of the game was instrumental.  What an experience it can become when you have not only a good caddy but also a good friend who you can share it all with by your side.

We’ve been friends since and kept in touch through Facebook.  When I told Liong that I will be playing the first Asian Developmental Tour event of the year in his home country in Malaysia, he was delighted to be on the loop again. Given that he has caddied for Asian and European tour players in bigger events, I figured I couldn’t quite compensate him the way those more established players just yet. It was heartwarming to get his message saying that he was more than willing to caddy and reassuring not to worry about his caddy rates.
This was his message: “i will to caddying u...dont worry...i know a lot of that course.dont thinking about the payment..if u placing good money..i hope u can pay me by the percentage..carl..dont worry again about the payment ok..i like to caddying u.i hope we can do some miracle there.i just wait for u..call me if u be here.(kuala lumpur).maybe we can be a winner..dont worry buddy...i'll wait for u there.only u i like to caddy...honestly..!!!”
What a heart-warming message and a show of faith from Liong.  The adventure continues and while we all strive for that end-point success, its important to notice and enjoy every part of the journey to that point.  

No comments:

Post a Comment