Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Learning From the Best

There's a saying that if you want to be the best, you have to learn from the best.  The Cambodian Classic was my second event of my rookie season on the Asian Tour.  This time, I unfortunately missed the cut by one stroke after what I thought was a gutsy come back shooting 2 under 70 on the second day to get it back to even par for the tournament.  The cut landed at -1 and so I was on the outside, looking in. Hoping, wishing I could play 2 more rounds on the weekend with players on the Asian Tour caliber.  I knew I was getting better, I knew I could do it, I knew I belonged.  With 3 days to go in Cambodia and no flight changes available, I figured that those positive feelings would soon turn into feeling sorry for myself if I didn't accept what had just happened.

Instead, I came up with a contingency plan to work on my game the next two days.  Angkor Golf course built by Faldo is a gem in Siem Reap.  The practice facilities such as the driving range, short game area, and putting are outstanding. Having access to these the next two days, I thought, 'what an opportunity'!  During those two days, I practiced in the mornings then in my curious nature, walked the back nine with the final groups to see what those guys were doing that I didn't do.  It was an eye opener as I got to watch them under the gun.  I observed their game and how they handled the different situations.

What stood out? Well, its not like they struck it any better, but being on their games, I must say they struck it more consistently. Also, from the elite players in the final pairings, I saw their demeanor. They knack for simply playing the game without thought.  From the body language, the mindset I witnessed was like knocking the ball closer and closer until the ball found the hotel.  That's how it looked, as if no unnecessary distraction came across them.  Also, there were leaderboards everywhere on every hole.  But it didn't seem like they cared to study it.  They were solely focused on doing what they could. To play their ball and get it in the hole.

I cheered fellow Filipino Elmer Salvador on as he gave a valiant effort to win only to come up short in the playoff after David Lipsky, a Northwestern graduate who I played college golf with, knocked a chip in for birdie on the first playoff hole.  I got a first hand look of seeing them in contention down the stretch.  It was a weekend turned into a fruitful practice session and an observation from the best of the week.



No comments:

Post a Comment