Friday, January 28, 2011

Holiday Season Recap and Sta. Elena Cup


Written: January 19, 2011

            I realize it has been close to a month since my last blog.  A lot has happened since then.  Right after the Philippine Open ended, my parents came a few days later on Dec 20, 2011.  It was a treat to have them and my brother here over the holidays, along with both sets of grandparents, it made for one of the most complete family Christmas get togethers in recent years.  My parents were here from Dec 20-31st.  During that time, I was able to show my dad a glimpse of my life as I toured him around the ICTSI golfer training house in Montecito and had him watch Coach Cassius, Marcel and I play in our pastime playground The Country Club.  My little bro Casey had quite the vacation too.  He got to play baseball the first couple days of the trip in Alabang against highschoolers and college players, basketball with Marcel, go karting in ParkSquare, and one of his highlights, I brought him out to a bar with my friends.  There’s something about Casey that he enjoys being with older people.  Makes him feel cool or something like that.  At least he enjoys the company of my friends and thinks their all beasts.  It makes him look up to me even more. Haha.  Here in the Philippines, the Christmas season goes throughout the month of December.  With Christmas parties galore, you’ll definitely be stuffing your tummy up.  We attended lots of those.  From mom’s side and dad’s side to highschool friends, golf friends, friends of friends, 2nd cousins… There was a party for every group and by the end of it all, you would have felt like you’ve joined an eating contest.  One of our highlights during the family’s stay was our visit to Fort Santiago / Intramuros where we went through a 3 hour tour with the most entertaining tour guide I’ve ever come across, Carlos Celdran as he took us through the Philippine’s history beginning with the Spanish colonization all the way to the present.

            A comment I received from a friend who glanced through my blog was that all I wrote about was golf and some of the terms she couldn’t understand and she eventually got bored.  From now on, I’ll make it a point to write about things more than golf even though this blog was intended for recapping my golfing experiences hence the title of the blog: Living the Dream.  The title implies: Living the (Golfing) Dream.  Then again, perhaps I could expand on more than just the golf and write about everyday experiences.  For those friends and family reading this blog who aren’t in the Philippines, would you appreciate it if I write a little about what I observe and experience in everyday life? Alright, I’ll be making an effort to write about things outside of golf just for the heck of it.  As much as I hated those writing assignments in highschool and in college, I somehow miss them.  Writing blog entries could serve as a personal homework to give myself since there’s no longer a professor to demand them.

            Anyway, the only reason I started writing this blog entry was to talk about my round today at the Sta. Elena Cup but before I could write about it, my friend’s comment crossed my mind that all I’ve ever written was about golf.  So I kinda wanted to open with those two paragraphs of rather non-golfing related subjects.  At this point, all I could say is that I shot a nonchalant round of 71 1 under par. 3 birdies 2 bogeys. It sounds good but from the blue tees? Give me a break. I could do much better than that.  My partner Clifford Lichaytoo, fellow Notre Dame graduate, shot an 86 which is above his handicap of 7.  Looks like we’ll just have to make up some ground on day two which isn’t for another 3 days.  We play again on Saturday morning.  Hopefully I’ll be able to dial those short irons in by then and post 8 birdies as I did in practice a few days ago.  Goodnight everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment