Sunday, January 9, 2011

PGT Canlubang Final Round

Written: November 26, 2010

When it rains it pours! Low amateur in Mimosa a few weeks ago and low amateur again in this ICTSI pro event in Canlubang.  It was another battle down the stretch among the amateurs but this time more were in contention.  The round started off slow with two early bogeys on holes 3 and 4.  Despite a birdie on the 5th, I gave it back immediately with a clumsy 3 putt bogey on the 6th.  2 over through 6 and a little iffy at that point.

Yet I continued to believe in myself and remained in the same mindset.  As it got windier towards the end, my game started to come alive.  Birdies on 8, 10, and the highlight on 13, the longest par 4 on the course playing dead into the wind. I holed a 60 foot putt from off the green, which got me so pumped up that I yelled a big "YES!!!" when it hit the pin and dropped in the hole.  I knew that was big and sure enough, to par the final 5 holes was enough to win by one shot over Migo Ochoa and Clyde Mondilla.

My final round of 71 for a 3-day total of even par 216 was good for a tie for 5th place among the entire field.  Notables that I beat out were Coach Cassius Casas, Juvic Pagunsan, Tony Lascuna and several other Asian Tour players.

Sometimes, it takes the little things to go your way to edge your competitors out.  Despite being sick all week, I managed to muster the energy and play through it.  Proven over and over again that as long as you've got confidence, anything's possible.

Time to go out and celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment