Sunday, January 9, 2011

Philippine Open 2nd Round


Written: December 16, 2010

            It was an early start to the day. Good thing I slept with the team in the hotel close to the golf course.  It was a 7am tee time off number 10 with the same group: Joel Opaco and Raymund Sangil.  I’ll characterize this day as a stroll in the park because it was a much more relaxing and even-keel round.  To start off, I made par on the first 7 holes of the day with a couple nice up and downs from around the green.  Then on 8, I caught a bad break as I pulled my drive left into the trees only to have it hit the cart path and bounce straight into the water.  That led to my first bogey of the day.  For the next 4 holes, I would make great par saves from the trees and around the green.  1 over par through 12, but a bogey on the 4th hole, (13th of the day) with a three putt from long range.  Then on the 5th, another bad break when my lay up with a 5 iron started out right and nestled right behind the lone tree in the right rough.  Both unable to get it on the green and unable to get it up and down led to a bogey.  3 over through 14.  Then on the very next hole, I found my swing with a solid tee shot and second shot and a putt for birdie from 25 feet away that dropped.  On the very next hole, a perfect drive and a 5 iron from 202 yards to about 12 feet setting up an eagle opportunity.  Unfortunately, I would miss but it still led to a birdie.  Pars on the final two holes and I was in with a 73, even par for the tournament putting me just 6 shots off leader Tonton Asistio coming into tomorrow’s 3rd round. Tomorrow, I’ll just have to keep playing my game and stay positive throughout.  The ball striking, as the week has progressed, it slowly getting better and better. With some of my uncles coming out to watch tomorrow, that might just be the boost I need to light it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment