Tuesday, July 12, 2011

ASEAN Tour Negeri Masters 1st Round


Written: July 7, 2011           

           With the morning’s first tee time at 7:30am, I was up at 5:30am in the hotel room.  A quick breakfast in the hotel, shower, then took the earliest 6:15am shuttle to the course.  Warming up on the range at 6:40am and it was still dark.  Since Malaysia is in the same time zone as the Philippines, but Malaysia is a two hour plane ride to the west, then consequently, the sun rises later and sets later in Malaysia compared to the Philippines. 

            Teed off at 7:30am on hole 10, one of the tightest driving holes on the course.  But with a carefree attitude and a focus on the one spot on the fairway I wanted the ball to go, the out of bounds on the left and the trees on the right didn’t matter. I hit a fairly good drive but it got a bad kick to the right ending in the rough a tree in the way.  A punch shot under the tree was struck well but didn’t kick right with the contour of the fairway thus landing me in the bunker.  With an awkward 20 yard bunker shot, I did well to hit it to 8 feet.  The indoor hotel putting practice really did help as I calmly sank the sidehill putt.  Over the next eight holes, I would make 4 birdies to turn in the front at 4 under.  Man, I wish there were live scoring because I’d probably be right up there! Haha

            It was a tale of two nines as I played most of the back nine defensively by making some good par saves.  The only unfortunate break was when my ball fall in the water on the par 5 6th as I ended up with a double bogey.  However, I was pleased with an overall score of 70, 2 under for the day and top 15 in a big time event.

            This solid performance just goes to show you that if you put in the scores, it doesn’t matter what field you’re playing against. You’re gonna beat players.  This performance also gave me confidence that my own game can stack up against the best.  No miracles necessary.  Stay tuned for tomorrow’s update.





No comments:

Post a Comment